Chief of Strategy and Development, Public Health Services – Administrative Manager III
Chief of Strategy and Development, Public Health Services
(Administrative Manager III)
This position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.0% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Effective July 1, 2022 - 0.5% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59p.m. (PST) on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately for first consideration.
This recruitment will establish an open eligible list that will be used to fill current vacant positions within this specialty. The eligible list established from this recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
Over the years, the County of Orange has established a reputation as an innovative leader among local governments and serves over 3 million residents who live within its 34 cities. The County of Orange provides local services to its residents which include, public safety, public health, environmental protection, regional planning, public assistance, social services and aviation.
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA) is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven service areas - Administrative and Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Medical Health Services, Public Health, Office of Care Coordination, and Strategy and Special Projects - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community partners.
The County of Orange, Health Care Agency is seeking an experienced manager in health care strategic planning, development, implementation and evaluation of programs, initiatives, policies and procedures. The Chief of Strategy and Development will report to the Deputy Agency Director (DAD), Public Health Services and work with the Chief of Operations, HCA executive management, Orange County Board of Supervisors (BOS), state and county government officials and communities at large.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Project management utilizing strong skills that includes identifying milestones and deadlines, tracking status and budget and effectively communicating progress to DAD, HCA Director, BOS, County Executive Office, and other stakeholders
- Evaluates public health services for optimal performance and identifies areas for improvement
- Implements new health care initiatives, laws, regulations, policies and/or procedures and ensures compliance with all regulations and legislative mandates
- Identifies subject matter experts and leading them in developing new systems or re-engineering existing systems to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- Creates viable options for long-term business development, growth and innovation, services redesign and optimization, and other high-impact initiatives
- Architects the strategic implementation for the long-range plans, builds the consensus necessary to enact change, and drives priorities from conception to completion
- Analyzes opportunity growths and/or alternative solutions, identifies attractive business development opportunities, and develops feasibility studies and partners with team to develop annual strategic plan
- Strategic thought partner and effective advisor to executives on large-scale endeavors, bringing pertinent issues to leadership's attention and providing ideas for charting a successful course forward
- Brings focus and discipline and creates shared alignment on strategic initiatives by working with existing relationships and forging new relationships with a broad range of constituents and diverse stakeholders
- Builds agile teams, maintaining a high standard of collaboration and efficiency to accomplish critical tasks in a unified manner and achieve desired community impact
- Other duties as required
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The Chief of Strategy and Development, Public Health Services will be a seasoned manager with a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in health care with five (5) years of substantial experience in health care strategic planning and development as well as, budget analysis, program development and project management. The ideal candidate will also have extensive experience performing in a leadership capacity. The preferred candidate will have a master's degree in Public Health.
The ideal candidate will also have extensive knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following competencies:
Technical Knowledge | Experience
- Proven experience planning and preparing strategic growth initiatives including prioritizing organizational goals and objectives, developing strategic plans, implementing and managing plan, and evaluating and revising plan as needed
- Experience working with executives, board members, and elected officials to achieve goals
- Ensures fiscal integrity, accuracy of program expenditures and budget development
- Software proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
- Produces feasibility studies and data analytics
- Knowledge of State mandates, laws and regulations pertaining to health care including HIPAA
Leadership | Management
- Evaluating the impact of change in processes, procedures, leadership, and program culture
- Identifying and resolving technical issues and problems through good judgment and decision making utilizing technical expertise
- Using tact and motivational techniques to maximize staff performance, assess training needs and improve efficiency
- Encouraging and facilitating staff cooperation and fostering commitment and team spirit to achieve program goals
- Providing fair, unbiased, and effective leadership for a broad variety of personnel issues
- Administering discipline in a fair and consistent manner in consultation and collaboration with Human Resource Services (HRS)
- Clearly communicating expectations to staff, implementing policies and procedures consistently, delegating appropriately, and using accountability measures fairly
Communication Skills | Oral & Written
- Expertly communicating verbally and in writing to accurately and appropriately convey complex information to different audiences, i.e. executive management, and other public officials and entities
- Presenting information to stakeholders and public forum clearly and effectively
- Utilizing effective communication skills for team building, facilitating solutions, and resolving conflict
- Demonstrating diplomacy in dealing with a variety of stakeholder groups including executives, board members, and elected officials
Organizational and Analytical Skills
- Managing projects, controlling cost and scope and guiding team to achieve project goals
- Remaining adaptable and flexible while maintaining a focus on the oversight of strategic development, implementation and evaluation
- Anticipating and identifying potential program problems and proactively generating alternative solutions while dealing with changing priorities
- Producing quality work within tight and stressful deadlines
Click here for a complete description of the minimum qualifications for the classification of Administrative Manager III.
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment.
Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here to review the policy.
Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.
Application Appraisal | HR Review Rating (Weighted 100%)
An Application Appraisal conducted by HRS will thoroughly screen and evaluate all application materials for job knowledge, competencies, and related experience described above. Only the most qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures above may be modified. Candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Thai Do at (714) 834-2598.
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous