Laboratory Technician I
Job Posting Title
Laboratory Technician I
340 OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
Emergency Prep & Response Svs
Job Posting End Date (Continuous if Blank)
Estimated Appointment End Date (Continuous if Blank)
The annual salary for this position is up to $32,185.00, based on education and experience.
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities for supporting laboratory operations, performing maintenance functions and completing non-technical routine laboratory tests and procedures under the direction of professional staff.
- Performs routine laboratory procedures such as preparation of media and basic preparation of slides and smears.
- Conducts non-technical routine laboratory tests and procedures under the direction of professional staff.
- Sets up and operates laboratory equipment in preparation for specimen examinations.
- Opens, separates, numbers and arranges specimens for laboratory examination and trace results.
- Maintains simple laboratory records and inventory for supplies and reagents.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and supplies by cleaning and maintaining quality assurance records.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work area in accordance with standard laboratory practice and procedures.
This is the basic level where incumbents perform routine repetitive tasks of a non-technical nature involving general housekeeping and maintenance operations in a laboratory. Duties include cleaning work areas and equipment, storing supplies and distributing a variety of items throughout the laboratory. Incumbents will be closely supervised while the work is being performed.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience requirements at this level are none.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and to operate laboratory equipment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This position is set in a laboratory environment. While performing the required duties for this position one must be able to lift forty pounds and stand for long periods of time as well working with infectious or hazardous material. Medical evaluation for respiratory fitness is an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirement for all persons required to wear a respirator to perform their job duties.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The State of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information, race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.