Senior Scientist I / Health & Safety
Roux Associates Inc
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Our office in Chicago, Illinois is seeking a responsible, self-sufficient Senior Scientist to work on projects related to the assessment of employee exposures and the evaluation of environmental, health and safety (EHS) compliance issues at industrial and commercial sites. The successful candidate will be skilled in the technical and regulatory aspects of health and safety with a focus on compliance and risk assessment. They will interact with clients and supervise technical staff performing various health and safety consulting services. Project/client sectors may include manufacturing, technology, logistics, petroleum/energy, legal, government/utility, and real estate.
- Must have a B.S. degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, Public Health or related field.
- Candidates possessing professional credentials such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and/or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience which includes health and safety in a consulting work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven mentoring experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including collaborative and team building skills.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with federal and state laws, regulations, and best practices applicable to OSHA; experience with USEPA regulations a plus.
- Proficient with a wide variety of sampling techniques and direct-reading instruments.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of the structure of health and safety activities related to environmental consulting services is desired.
- Safety training experience preferred.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification preferred.
- Provide health and safety support to clients, including conducting onsite support such as field studies, data gathering and sampling activities. Field support will require travel.
- Manage projects to ensure that they are completed on time and within budget (scheduling/management of resources).
- Staff training and mentorship - Willingness and ability to train and mentor junior staff with respect to technical requirements, regulatory programs, sampling methodology, writing skills, and verbal communications.
- Design exposure assessment strategies.
- Manage and/or conduct employee exposure and indoor air quality assessments for clients.
- Compile and analyze qualitative and quantitative data.
- Present findings both verbally and in written form (e.g., technical reports) to clients.
- Support business development efforts for the office by joining office Principals on sales calls and by taking a lead role in preparing technical proposals.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with clients.
Physical Demands/Work Environment Conditions
This position occasionally works in the field, and predominantly works in an office environment. In the field, candidate will be working independently or more commonly will be leading a larger team at exterior project sites (i.e., industrial/brownfield facilities, monitoring wells, treatment systems, construction projects) to perform sample collection, recording of operational/meter parameters, and oversight of subcontractors (e.g., drillers, heavy equipment operators, truckers). These field activities require the ability to drive to different project sites and physically move around outdoors in various terrains, and occasionally in adverse weather conditions. Office work is primarily stationary/sedentary using a computer and keyboard/mouse requiring repetitive hand movements.
Roux is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or protected veteran status; and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Roux will take steps to assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, or to perform the essential functions of the position, please contact HR@rouxinc.com .
Location: Chicago, IL 60606 US (Primary)